The Head of Biology will report to the President and will be a highly motivated immunologist, inflammation biologist, or immune-oncology expert who will participate in and drive the discovery and advancement of novel therapeutics for the treatment of inflammatory diseases and cancer. This life sciences research leader will be immersed in the strategic development and implementation of early and late stage research programs while identifying new targets to ensure that a robust pipeline of product candidates is moving towards the clinic. This person will work closely with the members of the executive team and provide both strategic and day-to-day guidance to the scientific team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Primary responsibilities will be to lead and support drug discovery and to investigate the mechanism of action of clinical development compounds and candidate lead molecules. The successful candidate will be expected to independently design, execute and manage internal research projects, collaborate with other functional groups within the broader organization and manage external collaborations. In addition, the candidate will contribute to patent filings and publications and present research finding to various audiences including senior management.
- D. in Biology, Immunology, or related discipline
- 10+ years of industry experience in small molecule drug discovery/development, with at least 5 years in a leadership role
- Evidence of scientific leadership with publication in top-tier journals
- A successful track record of advancing multiple product candidates from discovery to the clinic, with lead responsibilities
- Prior experience and training in Immunology and Immuno-Oncology
- Direct experience with a broad range of immunological techniques, including isolation and stimulation of primary immune cells (of human and rodent origin), multi-color flow cytometry, immune cell-based assay development
- Well-developed organizational, creative problem solving and collaborative skills
- Must be self-motivated and proactive, able to multi-task, and detail oriented
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, as well as effective listening and interpersonal skills
- Prior experience working with inflammation models to elucidate mechanisms and mediators of disease and therapeutic efficacy and/or drug mechanism of action is highly desirable
- Prior experience in biotherapeutic discovery and preclinical development, together with a strong understanding of ligand-receptor biology is highly desirable
- In depth expertise in human immunology is highly desirable
As an equal opportunity employer, ChemoCentryx, Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law’ poster.
In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance.